Fat Bald Jeff

Saturday, January 27, 2007

100 Pounds in 100 Days - Day #20

First full day without added salt. Wow. By the end of the day, I could TASTE the saltiness of some of the processed foods that have been a staple of mine for the past months. I bought some Morton's salt substitute (that uses potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride)....ick. Horrible metallic taste...actually couldn't use it. I saw some things online about some that are potassium based that DON'T have that metallic tinge, but I can only order them online. I think I'll wait and tough it out a few more days before trying that route. The recommendations for daily sodium intake have been modified recently (by the Institute of Medicine) to only 1500 mg. I decided to see what was in some of the foods I regularly eat. Those 98% fat free hot dogs...of which I often eat 4 in a single sitting.....475 mg EACH!! Sheesh. I'll estimate 2000-3000 mg from just the foods themselves....PLUS another 4000 to 5000 mg in ADDITIONAL salt from that dreaded shaker (I sometimes actually salt each individual cucumber slice!) That can't be good. Well...I don't know if I'll be making any real dietary changes during this 100 day phase, but I will most definitely be more aware of it when I select and taste foods.

On another note, the scale continues to move again finally....gonna make a big push this weekend with racquetball, weights, etc and close the gap on those 7 needed pounds.

19% done and feeling good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home